After finding themselves on the wrong end of SARFU backroom dealings, the Lions will not be participating in this year’s Super 15. This weekend saw them taking on the less fancied Russian national team at Ellis Park as part of a completely rejigged schedule for 2013. Johan Ackermann and management have had to scramble to organise “decent” opponents to keep the squad sharp for the promotion-relegation layoffs later this year.
They have cobbled together a tournament of sorts now being referred to as “the Game of Thrones”.
Here are the fixtures and opponents as far as we can tell:
- February 2, 2013: Lions v Sweet Valley Primary School under 13B rugby team (“C” team not available that weekend)
- February 15, 2013: Lions v Meadowridge Baptist Youth Group (game moved to Friday to accommodate “lift” arrangements with parents)
- March 8, 2013: Lions v USA invitational (away game).
- March 15, 2013: Lions v North America invitational (away game)
- April 13, 2013: Lions v car guards at Shoprite-Checkers (match to be played under “Southern Suburbs rules”)
- April 20, 2013: Lions v Peoples Republic of Korea followed by Lions v Peoples Republic of Hout Bay (a despot double header!)
- April 27, 2013: Lions v Wales.
Shooo… if you’re a season ticket holder best sell them now, before your potential buyers get a look at this fixture list.