Looks like Heyneke Meyer has succumbed to the Bok coach disease of irrational loyalty to players. This week on the interview circuit all was revealed on the DSTV tragicomedy referred to as Boots ‘n All.
As the only guest in studio not willing to kiss anyone in a bok blazer’s ass and in his “speaking truth to power” mode, Nick Mallet called out Heyneke on the continued selection of Morne Steyn at flyhalf despite his lack of form. Morne is in the team to kick goals, since he doesn’t exactly give you anything else. And he isn’t exactly kicking goals is he?
Hearing Heyneke defend his selection was painful. He mumbled something about Morne’s form not actually being that bad and that if you switched to Afrikaans commentary during the game he actually plays quite well.
This kind of irrational disease seems to overcome South African’s in positions of power. It also has its counter in the insane refusal to pick a player who is clearly better than “coach’s favourite”. Is the Heyneke Meyer – Morne Steyn clouded thinking going to be up there amongst the following:
- John “Colonel Gadaffi” Smit’s stranglehold over the De Villiers coaching tenure.
- Jake White and “the fetcher” debacle, circa 2004, 2005 and 2006.
- Tiaan Strauss not being selected against the touring Kiwis in post-isolation South Africa.
- The ANC insisting that Julius Malema “wasn’t a complete shit”, at least until he turned his idiot hose onto Jacob Zuma that is.
- Nick Mallet and the Gary Teichmann.
- Bryan Habana and all of his coaches during 2008 to 2011.
- Jedi Knight Qui-Gon Jinn not beating the shit out of Jar Jar Binks in every scene in which they appear together.
Perhaps Pat Lambie needs to start showing up to coaching sessions wearing his Morne Steyn mask. Is that what it is going to take? Or a miracle cure for Johan Goosen?