Where are they now: Cabous van der Westhuizen.

Oh Cabous, Cabous, where art thou Cabous?! How could we forget (even if we wanted to) the flowing mane and Impala-like stride of the former Natal Sharks and Springbok speedster? Cabous played the game back in a time when it was still okay to ruck a man’s face and shake his hand after the match, a time when the word ‘flamboyant’ in SA rugby was defined by having all your own teeth or ordering a salad with the rack ‘o’ ribs at the local streak-ranch.

Cabous certainly stood out from the rest of the pack, even if that did mean looking like a Thundercat. No disrespect intended – the man could play rugby and the stats back that up. He holds the record as being the most capped player for the Sharks in his stint there between 1992 and 1998, as well as scoring the most tries in one season. Go you good thing!

So where the hell is he now? A recent survey revealed that 60% of people believe that he went on to establish a successful hair salon and brand of ‘wet look’ hair products. The remaining 40%  think he is soon to be making an appearance on the big screen in the upcoming Pirates of the Caribbean movie – as a rum smuggler with an eye for the ladies.

Nick Slaughter from Tropical Heat

It turns out Cabous has in fact relocated to the tropical isle of Mauritius, where, in addition to perfecting his all-over tan, he has opened and runs a popular beach bar. Oh yes, you read that right my friend – and I know what you’re thinking…..why does this sound so familiar? Maybe because we knew all along he would eventually become Nick Slaughter from Tropical Heat.

Cabous with 'lady friend'



  1. Since posting this I have had one or two Big Daddy readers (and a wily bunch they are too!) question the veracity of the claims made about Cabous’ current whereabouts. I can only vouch for the thoroughness of my research by saying it was based on at least two Google searches and some banter at the office water-cooler. Enough said.

  2. Lies… lies! He still appears to Kevin Costner in his dreams and plays 7’s with Costner on a small field in Iowa built especially for the purpose…

  3. Knowing what a “skelem” Cabous is, he’s probably started a plantation of mountain cabbage in a remote part of the island. For medicinal purposes of course ! Hello Matt, “Hoessit” ! Jonno

  4. “Skelem”….now that’s a word I just don’t hear often enough. Well done to you sir!

  5. Was Cabous se PTI in die army en het toe saam met hom die Valskerm kursus gaan doen in 1983

  6. Was Cabous se PTI in die weermag en het toe saam met hom die valskerm kursus gaan doen in Bloemfontein 1983

  7. of course like your web site but you have to take a look
    at the spelling on quite a few of your posts.
    A number of them are rife with spelling problems and I find it very bothersome to
    tell the truth however I’ll definitely come again again.

  8. Hello There. I discovered your blog the usage of msn. That is an extremely
    neatly written article. I’ll be sure to bookmark it and return to read extra of your
    useful information. Thank you for the post. I will certainly return.

  9. It’s amazing to visit this website and reading the views of all friends on the topic of this post,
    while I am also zealous of getting know-how.

  10. Hi there would you mind letting me know which web
    host you’re using? I’ve loaded your blog in 3 different web
    browsers and I must say this blog loads a lot quicker then most.
    Can you recommend a good hosting provider at a reasonable price?
    Thank you, I appreciate it!

  11. Please let me know if you’re looking for a author for your blog.
    You have some really good articles and I feel I
    would be a good asset. If you ever want to take some of the load off, I’d really like to write some content for your blog in exchange for a link back to mine.
    Please blast me an email if interested. Many thanks!

  12. On this wensite there isn’t a need to download any information to your HDD,
    without riscs of downloading any viruses.

  13. I have checked your website and i have found some duplicate content, that’s why you don’t rank high in google, but
    there is a tool that can help you to create 100% unique content, search for:
    Boorfe’s tips unlimited content

Leave a Reply